Saturday, July 9, 2011

More on Russell Abbott's signing at U of Ottawa

Good morning (or afternoon by the time I finish this post),

I noticed this email today from Russell Abbott's dad, Ken. It was dated June 29, which is when I was in PEI, and I don't check this address much to begin with.

This is what it says about Russell's commitment to forego his last SJHL season and join the Ottawa Gee Gees (which was announced Monday).

Hi Josh:


In a small thanks to you for being the first SJHL blogger to notice the play last season of my son Russell Abbott I would like you to have the scoop on his acceptance of an offer and his award of a position with the Univ of Ottawa GeeGees CIS men’s hockey team commencing Sept/2011. Russ was in the fortunate position to consider offers from several CIS and NCAA schools and selected Ottawa because their recruiters offered him the opportunity to play a contributing on ice role in his first season as a GeeGee. The top NCAA teams were only offering partial scholarships with no promise of playing time in the first year. Russ joins former Hound captain Kyle Ireland and Melville Millionaire Austin Krahenbil at U of Ottawa.


Thanks for being a messenger and wish you all the best in Estevan.


Ken Abbott


I would like to thank Ken for his kindness (getting a scoop in this way is rare, at least in my experience) and wish Russell the best of luck in Ottawa. He was one of the top goalies in the SJHL last season and surely would have been the best, easily, next year. It's too bad he didn't get much help from his team in Wilcox, aside from 2009-10 maybe.

My interview with Dan O'Toole yesterday was unbelievable. The man is just as funny as he is on-air... it's not an act. I had to stop myself from absolutely losing it a bunch of times. It went about 20 minutes. Still trying to get it up on my computer.

We also chatted for a few minutes after the interview and I asked him to follow me on twitter. He said he would and within a couple hours he made good on it... just check out my followers list!

No comments:

Post a Comment